Tuesday, March 27, 2012

16-inch custom Calvin & Hobbes Comic Stripped Qee by VISEone

 I love Calvin and Hobbes. When I was little, my dad used to read the Sunday comics to me and Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite. I collected all the books- still have them all. When I was 16, I got my first tattoo of Calvin on my ankle. My parents weren't too pleased, but it's not like it was a tat of a skull with snakes crawling out of the eyes or something.

When I saw these images of VISEone's latest large-scale Comic Stripped custom, I was floored. Not only is the sculpting of Hobbes dead-on, but the piece has pieces of the comic- literally, for me, pieces of my childhood- incorporated into the custom. I love it. Here's what VISEone had to say in his most recent newsletter:

For decades now I'm reading Bill Watterson's CALVIN & HOBBES and of course I had to come up with a Comic Stripped version for my favorite comic strip.
I decided to cover a 16" Qee with black and white copies on white and orange paper - so no original comic book was harmed!

I added loose brushstrokes to adapt the style of Watterson - I know I will never pay justice to the great Watterson but I tried to capture this style anyway.

Didn't decide yet if this piece is for sale - but offers start at € 650,- including shipping. If someone is interested he/she can contact me and we'll see...

You can email VISEone here.

0 comments: