Thursday, February 9, 2012

MeSmithy KayNid Anubis and Winter Kitsune

We'd like to welcome our newest advertiser, Megan Smithyman, to our blog! MeSmithy is an artist working in CA, utilizing stitched leather to create her unique custom toy designs. In my opinion, once you start incorporating old-school materials in a custom toy, it starts to make that transition from "toy" to objet d'art. It feels legit, for me, maybe because I frequently have to explain that these items are not in fact toys, per se, in the normal definition of the word. Still, a painted piece of plastic is seen, by many people, as a toy, no matter what you say. Throw some leather on there and I think most of those people wouldn't need so much convincing. Handcrafted leather items seem to hold more weight in traditional society, and I think MeSmithy's customs are a wonderful crossover type of product that help legitimize our obsessive toy collecting. 

Plus, I love Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Just sayin'.
Check out MeSmithy's website here. For some really unique custom art toys, keep wtaching MeSmithy's shop. The Anubis figure (top) is for sale, in addition to other pieces.

0 comments: